Monday, February 6, 2012

Orca Bay is Done Done!!

Well, I put the last few stitches into the binding on Orca Bay this morning.  Just in time for Bonnie's Monday Link-up.  This was such a fun quilt.  Thanks so much Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville for her generosity.

Here's a couple of final photos.  I needed to go a little larger so I added three 2" finished borders outside of the pieced border that the original pattern called for.  The quilt finished at about 96" x 86"... larger enough for my queen size bed with extra drop on each side.  I know there has been a lot of discussion about ending it with the pieced border and giving the eye a "place to rest", but I really like the way it turned out.  It gave me the opportunity to introduce a little more blue into the quilt and tie in those little string blocks.  In addition, I used a beautiful blue backing I had been saving for "Jamestown Landing".  It went so well with the blue in this quilt, I just had to use it on this one.







In addition to finishing up my Orca Bay, I also completed a cross stitch I have been working on since October of 2011.  It is a Heaven and Earth Design titled "Be Good for Goodness Sake".  I don't think the picture does it justice, but Santa is so lifelike I could swear he was "watching" me with those eyes as I was stitching the project.

Well, that does it..

Happy Sewing everyone.

Cathy

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on your Orca Bay finish and your cross stitch finish - they are both great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your softer blues, it helps tone down a busy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for the finish! Your borders and quilt look great! And I absolutely love your backing! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, look at that Orca Bay. Oh man I wish I would have seen your borders before I finished. I absolutely adore them, gives the quilt and an entirely different look and it's wonderful. LOL about Santa. My goodness that is an incredible cross stitch!! I can only imagine how odd to have the cross stitch staring right back you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the softer blue with the red and black! I like the borders too. I intend to add borders to my Orca Bay as well. I think the borders add a nice finishing touch.

    Santa looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your borders! I may add another on mine now

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love your quilt and the extra borders. I love the way the light blues look too, it's amazing how different a couple of changes can make the quilt look. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful job. Each quilt has its own little twist that makes it unique. I love your lighter blue string blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like how it looks with the extra borders. I've got a queen-sized bed and may do that too. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete